Zoom Imaging Solutions, Inc.
Data Security Services
Data Security Service
Securing The Data On YOUR Hard Drive
In an effort to inform and protect our customers, Zoom Imaging Solutions, Inc. now makes ensuring that the information processed by your copier stays safely within your organization and not in the hands of identity thieves.
What You NEED To Know:
- Nearly every digital copier contains one or more hard drives, capable of storing all types of data.
- Lease return and used copiers are customarily redistributed to buyers, wholesalers, and overseas distributors, without having the necessary steps taken to eliminate sensitive data.
- Although the data stored may be encrypted, it is still possible to gain access to your personal information.
- Many of these copiers contain the IP address of the company's primary and secondary email server and, in some cases, a secure log-on password.
Zoom Imaging Solutions offers multiple solutions to help protect your company's sensitive data!
INFOsweep Solutionwith 3rd Party HIPAA Certification!
- An INFOSweep authorized technician powers-up the machine, test its functionality and prints benchmark reports identifying specific data contained within the unit.
- The technician removes the unit's hard drive(s) and purges all data utilizing a process that conforms to NIST standards.
- The drive is security tagged and rendered physically inoperable.
- Once the hard drive data has been purged, the technician issues a Chain of Custody Record ensuring secure tracking of the device through destruction.
- The technician installs a new, properly formatted hard drive. The machine is again powered-up. A process is followed to clear data stored in the unit in areas other than on the hard drive(s). Such data may include network data, IP addresses, email and fax addresses, company directories, contact lists and job logs.
- The benchmarking process is repeated, and appropriate reports are printed ensuring that the unit has been successfully purged of all data.
- All necessary settings and configurations are restored and the machine is tested to ensure that it is fully functional, cleared of all data, and ready to be returned to service.
- The technician issues an INFOSweep Certification.
- The purged and disabled drive is delivered to DCSI's Northern California facility where it will be cataloged and destroyed.
- A Certificate of Destruction is issued.
Option 2AVAILABLE for Toshiba Copiers only.
- Hard Drive Removal.
- Hard Drive DATA Destruction.
- Hard Drive Replacement & Reformatting for the Specific Copier.
- Delete Network Passwords, Server IP Addresses, Company Directories & Job Logs.
Your business may be at risk. Zoom and Toshiba can help.
The Association of Certified Fraud Examiners found that companies in the United States lose more than $600 billion a year due to fraud, and document fraud is a large part of this statistic. Now that MFPs and laser printers are able to store data, they've become an integral part of business networks, and a critical point of vulnerability. They retain latent document images and contact information, leaving sensitive information and mission-critical data at risk. These threats to security can come from anyone, anywhere. The 2009 Data Breach Investigation Report found that 74% of security breaches resulted from external sources and 20% were traced to insiders. Reports from a variety of resources have come to these same conclusions: data theft is common, it happens regularly, and everyone is aware that it's a serious problem. That's why we deliver serious security solutions. In addition to protecting against security breaches and possible litigation, we assist in keeping businesses compliant with ever-increasing government regulations such as HIPAA, FERPA, Sarbanes-Oxley, and eDiscovery.
Encompass™ Security AssessmentProtection With a Plan
Zoom, in partnership with Toshiba, utilizes innovative security technologies and expert personnel who are trained and certified as part of their Encompass™ Security Vulnerability Assessment Program. Our Professional Services Consultants are experienced in analyzing and assessing device, fleet and enterprise document security.
Multiple points of vulnerability are assessed, including many brands and devices that may not be manufactured by Toshiba. After analyzing possible security risks, our experts provide you with a tailored security plan and help you implement it efficiently and effectively.
Our Encompass™ Security Assessment includes four areas of focus: device security, access security, document security, and end of life security.
Device SecurityIn order to protect the confidentiality and integrity of your data, we continually develop comprehensive security measures for Toshiba devices. Our Advanced Encryption functionality provides on-the-fly encryption and decryption of data written to the device's hard drive. The Data Overwrite Kit ensures that all data is erased after every fax, copy, scan and print job in order to prevent the latent storage of valuable data on the device. Because MFPs and network printers function as complex network devices, we have developed several solutions that specifically address network security.
IPv6 ensures IP security with a larger IP address range, protection from scanning and attacks, and support for authentication and confidentiality as part of our optional IPsec©. Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)© employs encryption technology to protect all data traveling to and from the MFP, while IP Filtering acts like a firewall to protect your internal network from intruders. Also, SMB Signing adds a digital signature to verify that data is received from authenticated sources and ensures the integrity of all communications.
Access SecurityToshiba has developed simple, yet highly effective methods of establishing access security without inconveniencing users. Network Authentication allows administrators to control access at the device in the same way it's controlled from the desktop. Department Codes provide valuable data tracking and usage information, giving authorized users full functionality at the device. Usage Limitations enable administrators to set limits for copy and print jobs, as well as track and control costs. Strong Passwords utilizes a ten-digit alphanumeric administrative password for added protection along with a log-on attempt limitation. To streamline the user login process, our SmartCard Authentication requires the simple swipe of a card while allowing limited user access to specific features and functions.
Document SecurityWith Digital Rights Management (DRM), security policies remain with each document as it travels inside and outside of your organization. To preserve the integrity and security of printed information, Private Print prevents the wrong person from picking up the wrong print job and gives the user the option of printing private documents individually or multiple documents at one time. FollowMe Printing holds print jobs in a central queue until the user logs on to any FollowMe-enabled MFP, ensuring that the correct user is physically present before the document is printed. SecurePDF protects scanned documents, enabling users to assign a password in order to restrict viewing, printing, editing and copying of the scanned information. Up to 128-bit encryption can be used to keep the information safely stored.
End-Of-Life SecurityWhenever the lease has ended for a particular device, it's important to be certain all of your critical data is removed from the hard drive before it leaves the premises.
Toshiba devices, as well as many other brands, can be scrubbed to remove any and all information that may still be stored on the drive. We recommend an end-of-life policy up front as part of your Encompass™ Security Assessment.
Here are a few links, including recent news videos:
- CBS News - Copy Machines, a Security Risk?
- KIRO 7 TV (Seattle) - Private Information Stolen From Used Copiers.
- CBS 5 (San Francisco) - Office Copiers Can Present Identity Theft Risks.
- CBS 13 (Sacramento) - Copiers Can Pose Huge Security Risks To Businesses.
- FTC Copier Data Security guide